Here’s a very quick recipe for all pagarkai/bitter-gourd lovers! It’s one of my favorite way to prepare this vegetable as it’s easy to prepare and goes so well with Sambar or Rasam rice! Its taste is very close to pagarkai fry but consumes lesser oil in comparison!
- 4 pagarkais/bitter-gourds
- 2 tsp chilly powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
- Salt to taste (extra salt to soak the sliced vegetable)
- 3 tbsp oil
- Slice the pagarkai and soak it in salt water for 15 mins. Drain the water just before cooking.
- In a frying pan, pour oil, when medium hot, add the vegetable. Lower the flame and allow it to gradually cook, sauteing it once in five mins.
- Once the vegetable reduces to half it’s earlier quantity, add salt, turmeric powder, chilly powder and coriander powder. Give it a good mix.
- Cook for another five mins and your varuval is ready!