For those of you who are wondering what Beerakai is, it is ridge-gourd:
- 1 Beerakai
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 green chilies
- A handful of curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 inch of tamarind
- 4 tbs oil
- Scrape the ridges of the beerakai and chop into small pieces.
- In a frying pan, pour the oil. Once medium hot, put the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Allow it to crackle.
- Add the onions, garlic, green chilies, curry leaves and salt. Saute it until the onions turn golden brown.
- To this add the chopped tomato, piece of tamarind and beerakai. Cook for 10 minutes until the tomato and the beerakai are cooked well.
- Turn off the stove. Allow it to cool down and blend it into a coarse paste.