This is a very easy and quick side dish that you can enjoy on a lazy afternoon with either sambar, rasam or just simple curd rice! Even a person who detests bitter-gourd will fall for this simple fry. The Telugus prefer this fry made with besan flour! But my taste buds prefer the simple version. So here you go!
- 4 bitter-gourds
- Oil to fry
- 1 tbsp sambar powder (I used Aashirvaad sambar podi)
- Salt to taste
- Slice the bitter-gourd into approx 4mm slices (I don’t like it to be cut super fine because once you fry it, it will loose it’s taste) and soak it in a bowl of salt water for 10 mins (this, they say, will remove the bitterness!).
- Heat oil in a frying pan and deep fry the bitter-gourd.
- Remove when it just turns light brown. (I prefer my fries not too crispy with the original taste of the vegetable still lingering!)
- Once the fries cool down, mix it with the sambar powder and salt. If you do not have sambar powder, just chilly powder would do!