Here’s another South Indian item which pairs amazingly with sambar/rasam rice!
- 3 raw bananas
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 dry red chillies
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- 2 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Oil for tempering
- Salt to taste
- 1/3 cup fresh coconut chopped
- 2 tsp saunf
- 1 green chilly
- Peel the skin of the raw banana, chopped them and boil it in water with 1tsp oil for 5 minutes until it slightly softens. Drain the water and keep aside.
- In a frying pan, heat oil and add urad dal. When the urad dal begins to change color, immediately add the mustard seeds. As the mustard seeds begin to crackle, add the onions, curry leaves and red chillies. Saute for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder and salt to the onions and mix well.
- Now add the raw boiled banana. Mix well and cook for 10 minutes on low flame stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime grind the ingredients listed into a coarse paste.
- Add the coconut paste to the banana. Mix well. Cook for two minutes.