This is one super easy and super tasty poriyal that is often served in weddings on the vegetarian menu! It basically derived its name from the Indian congress party because of its tri-colors! I am a person who loves colors in any form and to have all these vibrant colors on my plate, makes me fall in love with food all over again!
- Equal amount of cabbage, carrots and beans chopped finely
- 1/2 cup freshly grated coconut
- 1 tbsp white uluntham paruppu/black urad dal without skin
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp sunflower/coconut oil
- Salt to taste
- In a frying pan, heat the oil. Add mustard seeds and uluntham paruppu.
- As soon as the mustard seeds crackle and the uluntham paruppu starts turning brown (do not let it burn!), add the carrots and beans. Pour a cup of water, cover it with a lid and allow it to cook on low flame.
- Once the carrots and beans are almost cooked and there’s little water left in the pan, add the cabbage. Cover it with a lid again and let it cook on low flame.
- Add salt towards the end and turn off the stove once the water evaporates.
- Sprinkle the grated coconut and serve with hot rice.