Last Saturday my nephew turned one. His journey since the time he was conceived in his mommy’s womb has been one big God-adventure and his first birthday gave us every reason to celebrate God’s faithfulness in our family. As a small token of my love I prepared these cupcakes for him. To my complete surprise many guests at the birthday party told me it tasted good and wanted the recipe, which I picked from Joy of Baking. So here it is!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 2 cups granulated white sugar/ icing sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- Zest of two large lemons (grated outer yellow skin)
- 3 cups maida
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
Makes 24 medium sized cupcakes
- In a large bowl beat the eggs until light and fluffy with a hand mixer. Add vanilla essence, milk, butter and icing sugar to it. Beat again.
- Take a separate bowl and sift maida, salt and baking powder. Add this in three portions to the egg mixture and beat at low speed. Make sure its well combined.
- Add the lemon zest to the batter and give a stir.
- Line the cupcake tray with medium sized liners. Scoop the batter in a spoon and fill the liners three fourth.
- Preheat the oven for 10 mins at 180C and then bake for 20 – 30 mins until you notice the top of the cake turning light brown. Pierce it with a toothpick and see if its fully baked.
- Once done, remove from the oven and cool for an hour.
For Butter Cream Icing
I do not follow any particular measurement or proportion. I just take a cup of unsalted butter. Beat it for a couple of minutes. Add a tsp of vanilla essence, a tsp of milk and keep adding icing sugar in portions, beat it until I feel the consistency is good enough!