Here’s what you do!
- 4 Cups – Idly Rice
- 1 Cup (Slightly less than one) – Uluntham Parupu/Urad Daal
- 1 tsp – Fenugreek seeds
- A handful of Vadicha sadham (cooked rice that you have for lunch!) – the secret ingredient 😉
- Salt to taste
- Soak the vuluntham parupu and fenugreek seeds in a vessel and the idly rice in another for 6 hours (I soak it around 9 am and grind it around 5 pm)
- Beat the vadicha sadham first in a mixie into a fine paste by adding water in small amounts. Keep aside.
- Then beat the vuluntham parupu and fenugreek seeds into a fine paste also in a mixie. Keep side.
- Atlast grind the idly rice in the wet grinder for atleast 40 mins adding small amounts of water if required. (Note – Make sure you do not add too much or too little water. The batter consistency is very important!)
- Add the vadicha saadham paste, the uluntham parupu paste and salt to the idly rice batter and let them grind together for 10 mins.
- Allow the batter to ferment over night and rise
- Note – for super soft idlies, DO NOT stir the batter. Scoop the risen batter as it is. The air bubbles in it makes it spongy!