Of the many things I shopped for my wedding was one small recipe book – Nita Mehta’s Cakes & Chocolates! I seriously have no idea where and why I picked this book because back then I had absolutely no passion for baking. Anyways, after almost three and a half years, I found it among some old books today! As I flipped through its pages, I was instantly urged to bake something right away! The butter cake was the only one I had all the ingredients. So I gave it a try with a little twist. Trust me, of the many (well, not many actually, just a few) cakes I baked this turned out to be one of the very best!
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1/3 Cup Oil
- 2 Cups Maida
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 Drop of Liquid Color of your choice (I used pink!)
- Beat sugar and butter till light and fluffy. Add essence. Mix.
- Sift maida with baking powder thrice and keep aside.
- Beat eggs nice and fluffy. Keep aside.
- Add hald of the beaten eggs and half of the maida to the butter and sugar mixture. Beat. Repeat with left over maida, oil and eggs. Beat for 3-4 minutes till the mixture seems light and fluffy.
- Put half of the prepared mixture in a butter greased and maida dusted 9″ round baking tin. Even the top of the cake mixture with a flat cake knife. To the remaining cake mixture, add one drop of liquid color and mix well. Add this over the cake mixture in the baking tin. Even the top of the cake mixture as earlier.
- Bake in preheated oven at 150C for about 45 minutes!